Sticky Lemon Cake
The combination of fresh lemon juice and yogurt gives this cake a wonderfully fresh taste and moist texture
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus cooling
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 2 lemons
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1 / 4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus one egg yolk
- 1 1 / 3 cups almond flour (almond meal)
- 1 / 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1 / 3 cups plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 325癋 (175癈). Butter an 8in (20cm) cake pan, and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemons; you should have 6 tbsp juice. Cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and the zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk the flours and the baking powder together to eliminate any lumps. Stir into the butter mixture, followed by the yogurt and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice.
- Spread in the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile, stir the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 4 tbsp lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Cool.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Pierce the cake all over with a skewer and drizzle the syrup on top. Cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto the rack, remove the pan, peel off the paper, and cool completely.
- prep 15 mins, plus cooling; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!