Strawberries 'n' Cream
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This mixture of sweet strawberries, gelatin, and whipped topping sure hits the spot!
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen (thawed) sweetened sliced strawberries, undrained
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 package (4-serving size) regular or sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or light sour cream
- 2 cups nonfat or light whipped topping
- Drain the strawberries, reserving the juice. Set both the strawberries and the juice aside.
- Pour the boiling water into a blender, and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Cover with the lid, and carefully blend at low speed for about 30 seconds, or until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Allow the mixture to sit in the blender for about 20 minutes, or until it reaches room temperature.
- When the gelatin mixture has cooled to room temperature, add the sour cream and the reserved juice from the strawberries, and blend for about 30 seconds, or until well mixed. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, and chill for 15 minutes. Stir the mixture; it should be the consistency of pudding. If it is too thin, return it to the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- When the gelatin mixture has reached the proper consistency, stir it with a wire whisk until smooth. Gently fold in first the strawberries, and then the whipped topping.
- Divide the mixture among six 8-ounce wine glasses, cover, and chill for at least 3 hours, or until set, before serving.
- For variety, substitute raspberry gelatin and frozen raspberries for the strawberry gelatin and frozen strawberries.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.