Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This is Italian ice cream with a twist; texture and sweetness are added with crushed meringues
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus freezing
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 8 strawberries, hulled, plus more whole strawberries to decorate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 / 2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 4oz ( 115g) plain meringue cookies, coarsely crushed
- 3 tbsp raspberry-flavored liqueur
For the coulis
- 8oz (225 g) strawberries, hulled
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice, brandy, balsamic vinegar
- 1 / 3 cup confectioner's sugar, as needed
- Lightly brush the springform pan with vegetable oil. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- PurÃ©e the strawberries in a blender or food processor. Whip the cream with the confectioner's sugar just until soft peaks form. Fold into the strawberry purÃ©e, then fold in the crushed meringues and liqueur. Spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the strawberry coulis. PurÃ©e the strawberries, then strain through a fine wire sieve to remove the seeds. Stir in the lemon juice, then the sugar, adding more sugar if needed.
- Just before serving, remove the sides of the springform. Invert onto a platter and peel off the paper. Cut into slices, dipping a sharp knife into hot water between slices. Transfer each slice to a plate. Spoon the coulis around each serving and garnish each with a whole strawberry. Serve chilled.
- prep 20 mins, plus freezing
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!