Summer Fruit Crisp
Peaches, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries all go into the filling of this crustless pie.
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 cups sliced peeled peaches or nectarines (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries, raspberries, or pitted sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled tub-style nonfat margarine, or 3 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine or light butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey crunch wheat germ or chopped toasted pecans
- To make the filling, place the peaches or nectarines and the blueberries, raspberries, or cherries in a large bowl, and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit, and toss to mix well. (If the fruit is tart, you may need to add another couple of tablespoons of sugar.) Coat a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the fruit mixture evenly in the pan. Set aside.
- To make the topping, place the oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the margarine or butter, and stir until the mixture is moist and crumbly. (If the mixture seems too dry, add more margarine or butter, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until the proper consistency is reached.) Stir in the wheat germ or pecans. Sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Cover loosely with aluminum foil during the last few minutes of baking if the topping starts to brown too quickly. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 15 minutes, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.