Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This classic summer fruit dessert is traditionally made with currants, but blackberries and raspberries work well, too
Prep Time: prep 20-25 mins, plus chilling
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1 cup stemmed black currants or blackberries
- 1 cup stemmed red currants or raspberries
- 2 / 3 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 12 slices white sandwich bread, crust removed
- Cook the black and red currants and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until the fruit gives off its juices. Stir in the strawberries and blueberries and cook just until they begin to soften.
- Cover the bottom of the bowl with a round of bread trimmed to fit. Line the sides of the bowl with bread slices as needed, trimmed and overlapping to fit.
- Spoon some of the fruit juices over the bread. Fill the bowl with the fruit, packing it well. Cover with the remaining bread, trimmed to fit.
- Place the bowl on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Place a small plate inside the bowl and weigh with a heavy can of food. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Uncover the bowl and turn the pudding out onto a serving platter. Serve chilled.
- prep 20-25 mins, plus chilling
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!