One of Italy's favorite desserts, this luscious dessert gets its name, which means "pick-me-up," from the espresso
Prep Time: 20M, plus cooling and at least 4 hrs chilling
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup cold brewed espresso or French roast coffee
- 1/3 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 12oz ( 350g) mascarpone cheese
- 3 tbsp superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- about 14 Italian ladyfingers (savoiardi)
- cocoa powder and coarsely grated semisweet chocolate, to decorate
- Mix the coffee and liqueur together in a shallow, wide bowl and set aside.
- Mix the mascarpone and sugar in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Whip the cream in another bowl until it holds its shape, then fold it into the mascarpone mixture. Put a few spoonfuls of the mascarpone mixture in the bottom of a serving dish.
- Dip and turn one ladyfinger in the coffee mixture until just moistened, then place it on top of the mascarpone in the dish; repeat with 6 more ladyfingers, placing them side by side. Cover with half the remaining mascarpone mixture. Dip and layer the remaining ladyfingers. Top with the remaining mascarpone and smooth the surface. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving sprinkle the top with cocoa powder and grated chocolate.
- Prepare ahead: The dish can be assembled early on the day of serving.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!