Toasted Coconut Meringues
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Served warm, coconut meringues will soon become a family favorite.
Serves: 24 cookies
- 2/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 large egg whites, warmed to room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut-flavored extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread the coconut in a thin layer on a small baking sheet, and bake at 350°F, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the coconut turns light golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Still beating, slowly add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat the mixture just until stiff peaks form when the beaters are raised. Beat in the extracts.
- Remove the beaters from the meringue mixture, and fold in the coconut.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. (Do not grease the sheet or coat it with cooking spray.) Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 250°F for 45 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Turn the oven off, and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for 2 hours with the door closed. Remove the pans from the oven, and peel the meringues from the foil. Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container.
- Variations To make Toasted Almond Meringues, substitute almond-flavored extract for the coconut extract, and substitute 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds for the coconut. To make Toasted Pecan Meringues, omit the coconut-flavored extract and increase the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Substitute 1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans for the coconut. To make Chocolate Chip Meringues, omit the coconut-flavored extract and increase the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Substitute 1/2 cup of semi-sweet, milk chocolate, mint chocolate, or white chocolate chips for the coconut.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.