A traditional British favorite
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 1 1 / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 8 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1 / 2 cups golden syrup
- zest of 1 large lemon, finely grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 / 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and mix until the dough resembles coarse bread crumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 3 tbsp cold water. Add to the dough and stir until it comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/8in (3mm) circle to line the tart pan. Trim the excess and prick with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes. Line with wax paper, fill with baking beans, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 5 minutes. Remove and reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Warm the syrup in a saucepan with the lemon. Add the ginger. Sprinkle the bread crumbs in the tart shell, pour in the syrup, and let stand for 5 minutes. Use the dough trimmings to make a lattice top. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- prep 30 mins; cook 30 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!