Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This rich yet light cheesecake is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser
Prep Time: 20M, plus standing and 6 hrs chilling
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: makes 10-12 servings
- 4 tbsp butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 lb ( 675g) cream cheese (not reduced fat) at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- one 16oz container sour cream
- kiwi fruit, thinly sliced, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly butter the bottom and side of a 9in (23cm) springform pan.
- To make the crust, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the graham cracker crumbs and 1 tbsp sugar and mix well. Press the crumbs into the bottom and 1in (2.5cm) up the sides of the springform pan.
- Combine the cream cheese, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. In a separate bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the sides have risen and are beginning to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Whisk the sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Pour over the cheesecake and smooth the top. Return the cheesecake to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more, until the topping looks set around the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Remove the sides of the pan, garnish with the kiwi fruit, and serve chilled, cutting the cheesecake with a wet knife.
- 9in (23cm) springform pan
- Prepare ahead: The crust can be assembled a day in advance and refrigerated until required.
- Good with sliced strawberries or other seasonal berries, sprinkled with a little confectioner's sugar.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!