Make a tray of these vanilla cupcakes for your child to take to school, and he'll be Mr. Popular for the day.
Serves: Serves: 24
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray or line with fluted paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars and baking powder; mix until ingredients are blended.
- Add applesauce, skim milk, vanilla extract and egg substitute to flour mixture; beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling half to two-thirds full; bake 22 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely. Cupcakes can be frozen at this point.
- Top cupcakes with low-fat frosting or powdered sugar, or decorate with a variety of sprinkles if desired, before or after freezing.
- Did you forget the powdered sugar? No problem. Blend 1/2 cup sugar with 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch for a simple substitute for each 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.