Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Cherries give a filip to creamy, vanilla-scented custards
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 / 2 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp honey
For the compote
- 1 / 2 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tbsp kirsch or brandy
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°F). Bring the cream, milk, and vanilla bean to a simmer over low heat. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean.
- Whisk the egg yolks and honey together until pale and creamy. Whisk in the hot cream mixture. Pour into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan and add hot water to come halfway up the sides. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until barely set. Remove from the pan and cool. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- For the compote, warm the cherry preserves and the kirsch. Serve the chilled custards topped with a some of the cherry mixture.
- prep 10 mins, plus standing; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!