Very Strawberry Pie
This strawberry pie features five cups of the delectable berries, along with another cup of their juice.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 prebaked Lite Graham Cracker Pie Crust made with plain graham crackers
- 5 cups halved strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cran-strawberry juice or another strawberry juice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- To make the glaze, place the sugar and cornstarch in a 1-quart pot, and stir to mix well. Add the juice, and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce the heat to low, and cook and stir for 1 minute, or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove the glaze from the heat, and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Whisk for about 1 minute, or until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place the berries in a large bowl. Stir the glaze, and pour it over the berries, tossing gently to coat.
- Spread the strawberry mixture over the prepared crust, and chill for several hours, or until the glaze is set. Serve cold.
- To save time and effort, substitute 1 1/3 cups of ready-made strawberry glaze for the homemade glaze.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.