Viennese Apple Strudel
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
It doesn't matter if served warm or cold, apple strudel is always appreciated by lovers of fine desserts
Prep Time: prep 30 mins, plus resting
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 10-12 servings
- 2 1 / 4 lb ( 1kg) Golden Delicious apples
- 1 / 2 cup raisins
- 1 / 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 / 2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- grated zest of 1 / 2 lemon
- 4 sheets thawed frozen filo dough
- 4 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for the baking sheet
- 2 / 3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- confectioner's sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a large baking sheet. Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2in (13mm) dice. Combine in a bowl with the raisins, sugar, almonds, rum, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Place a filo sheet on a work surface and brush with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheets.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the pastry, leaving a 1in (2cm) border. Spoon the filling over the bread crumbs. Fold in the short sides to cover about 1in (2.5cm) of the filling. Starting from a long side, roll up the pastry, tucking in the filling if it escapes. Transfer to the baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, brushing with the remaining melted butter after 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool on the baking sheet. Sift liberally with confectioner's sugar. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- prep 30 mins, plus resting; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!