Serve this fruity dessert of apples and pears on Jewish holidays or anytime you're looking for a healthy dessert.
Serves: serves 4
- 8 oz (250 g) pitted prunes
- 8 oz (250 g) pitted dried apricots
- 8 oz (250 g) dried pears
- 8 oz (250 g) dried apples
- 4 oz (125 g) seedless raisins
- 4 oz (125 g) seedless golden raisins
- 4 oz (125 g) sliced or slivered almonds
- half a lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brandy
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large casserole dish, arrange the dried fruit and lemon slices in layers, with the raisins and almonds sprinkled in between.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg on top.
- Mix the brandy, lemon juice, and sugar, and pour over the fruit.
- Add enough boiling water to cover.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- This is a traditional Jewish winter dessert that is equally good cold for breakfast.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!