Zesty Lemon Granita
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Refreshing and not too sweet, this is a delicious dessert after a rich main course, or a cooling treat on a hot day
Prep Time: 5M-10M, plus cooling and at least 4 hrs freezing
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 6 large lemons
- 2/3 cup sugar
- twists of lemon peel, to decorate
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from 4 of the lemons in strips. Scrape away any white pith.
- Bring the sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup into a shallow, freezerproof nonreactive bowl. Stir in the lemon zest strips and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, grate the zest from the remaining 2 lemons. Squeeze the juice from all of the lemons and strain. You should have 1 cup of lemon juice. Remove and discard the lemon zest strips from the syrup. Stir in the lemon juice and grated lemon zest.
- Transfer the dish to the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, use a fork to stir and break up the frozen chunks. Continue to do this for about 4 hours or until the mixture has the texture of shaved ice. During the last 30 minutes or so, freeze serving dishes for the granita. Scoop the granita into the frozen dishes and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be served in sugar cones or mixed with fresh fruit drinks.
- Prepare ahead: The granita, covered, can be frozen for up to 3 days. Crush in a food processor before serving.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!