Serve these right out of the pan with sour cream and salsa
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 flour tortillas
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the dish
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1 / 4 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock
- 1 / 3 cup tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion about 8 minutes, until golden. Stir in the garlic, then the chili powder and cumin. Add the stock and tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and red pepper for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Lightly oil a 2qt (2 liter) baking dish. Spread each tortilla with a spoonful of sauce. Top with equal amounts of the filling and about 3 tbsp cheese. Roll up each tortilla and place in the dish.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the tortillas, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted.
- prep 10 mins; cook 30 mins
Chicken Enchiladas: In step 3, add some shredded, seasoned chicken onto the sauce.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!