These traditional dainty sandwiches are an essential part of an English tea party
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus 30 mins standing
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 cucumber, lightly peeled
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 8 thinly sliced white or wheat bread
- softened butter, for spreading
- freshly ground black pepper
- tiny watercress leaves, or microgreens, to garnish
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the cucumber into rounds, no thicker than 1/8in (2mm). Place the cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand for 20-30 minutes to allow the excess liquid to drain off. When ready to use, sprinkle the slices with the vinegar.
- Spread each slice of bread with some softened butter. Arrange the cucumber slices in an even layer over 4 slices of bread. Season with pepper, then top with the remaining bread slices, buttered sides down.
- Cut off the crusts from each sandwich, then cut each sandwich into squares, triangles, or rectangles. Arrange the sandwiches on a serving plate. Sprinkle with watercress, and serve at once.
- prep 15 mins, plus 30 mins standing
Cheese and Cucumber Sandwiches: As an alternative to butter, spread the bread with cream cheese or soft goat cheese.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!