These chickpea fritters can be enjoyed tucked into pita bread
Prep Time: prep 25 mins, plus overnight soaking and 30 mins to set aside
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 12 falafels
- 1 heaping cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 / 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Drain the soaked chickpeas. Process the chickpeas with the other ingredients until finely chopped but not puréed.
- Transfer to a bowl. Let stand for at least 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours), covered in the refrigerator.
- Pour enough oil into a large saucepan to come 2in (5cm) up the sides and heat over high heat to 350°F (170°C).
- Moisten your hands with water and shape the mixture into 12 slightly flat balls. In batches, deep-fry in the oil about 3 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot.
- prep 25 mins, plus overnight soaking and 30 mins to set aside; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!