These souffl閟 are deliciously golden and puffy once cooked, and taste every bit as good as they look
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8oz ( 225g) spinach, rinsed but not dried
- 4 tbsp butter, plus extra for the ramekins
- 1 / 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1 / 2 cups whole milk
- 2 / 3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Place the spinach with any clinging water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool. A handful at a time, squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 400癋 (200癈). Butter four ramekins and place on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Return the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the nutmeg into the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the spinach and stir into the cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap pressed on the surface and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-quarter of the whites into the spinach mixture, then fold in the remainder.
- Divide the mixture among the ramekins. Using a knife, make a shallow circle around the ramekins about 1/4in (6mm) from the edge. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake about 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve at once.
- prep 20 mins; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!