Beef ragu freezes great so you can make a big batch to have on hand.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 11/2lb (675g) lean beef, cut into 1/2in (1cm) dice
- 8 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 11/4 cups red wine
- 2 × 28oz (800g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the onions, and cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then pour in the wine and allow to simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and thyme, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Let cool completely, then remove and discard the bay leaves. Divide the ragù evenly among 4 freezer bags (2 portions per bag), seal, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then transfer to a saucepan and heat until piping hot. Serve with pasta or creamy mashed potatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!