Turkey à la King
Type: Main Dishes
This dish is a time-honored way of using turkey leftovers after a holiday meal
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6oz ( 175g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk, heated
- 3-4 cups diced cooked turkey
- sweet paprika, for garnish
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and red and green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is boiling and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the turkey and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is heated through. Sprinkle with the paprika and serve hot.
- freeze for up to 3 months
- Prepare ahead: The dish can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead, then reheated gently before serving.
- Good with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.
Chicken à la King: Substitute the turkey with the same quantity of chicken. Replace half the milk with chicken stock, and the mushrooms with sliced zucchini.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!