All-American Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Spaghetti with meat sauce may have originated in Italy, but this quick recipe suits our American way of life.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 8 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups (one 15-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup (one 2.5-ounce jar) sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 2 teaspoons pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups hot cooked spaghetti, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup (3/4 ounce) grated Kraft fat-free Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray, brown meat and onion. Stir in tomato sauce, water, and undrained mushrooms.
- Add Sugar Twin and Italian seasoning. Mix well to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For each serving, place cup spaghetti on a plate, spoon a full 3/4 cup meat sauce over spaghetti, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese over top.
- 1 1/2 cups broken uncooked spaghetti usually cooks to about 2 cups.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.