Almost Veal Parmesan
Turkey breast has a taste and texture similar to that of veal, and substitutes nicely for the fattier meat in dishes like Veal Parmesan and Veal Marsala.
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 turkey breast cutlets (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Chunky Garden Marinara Sauce or bottled marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or water
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Rinse the turkey with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the turkey pieces on a flat surface, and use a meat mallet to pound each piece to 3/8-inch thickness.
- Place the egg substitute in a shallow dish. Place the flour, Parmesan, and pepper in another shallow dish, and stir to mix well. Dip each turkey piece first in the egg substitute and then in the flour mixture, turning to coat both sides. Set aside.
- Coat a large oven-proof skillet with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the turkey pieces, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until nicely browned. Spray the top of the turkey lightly with the cooking spray, turn, and cook for 3 additional minutes, or until nicely browned and no longer pink inside.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and carefully pour the marinara sauce over and around the turkey pieces. (Be aware that the sauce may splatter a little when it hits the hot skillet.) Lift the turkey pieces to allow the sauce to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Place the skillet in a 400°F oven, and bake uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is hot and bubbly. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, and bake for 5 additional minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot with your choice of pasta.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.