Apple Cider-Glazed Carrots
Type: Main Dishes
Some parents sprinkle a little brown sugar on steamed carrots to entice their children. Save the sugar for special occasions, and try this recipe for a naturally sweet vegetable dish.
Serves: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Put a steamer basket in a medium saucepan with 1" water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the carrots, cover, and steam for 10 minutes or until tender but not mushy.
- Drain the carrots and keep warm.
- In the same saucepan bring the apple cider and butter to a boil over medium-high heat. Return the carrots to the pan and toss until glazed.
- This recipe makes enough for a week's worth of snacks or side dishes. If you want to freeze it, cool the carrots completely and throw them into a plastic bag. Easy!
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.