Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
Type: Main Dishes
Chicken and rice make a "comfort food" basic that's always good for dinner.
Serves: Serves: 6 (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces skinned and boned uncooked chicken breasts, cut into 18 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) Healthy Request Chicken Broth
- 1 1/3 cups (4 ounces) uncooked Minute Rice
- 1/4 cup (one 2-ouncejar) chopped pimiento, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray, saute onion for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken pieces, garlic, paprika, parsley flakes, and black pepper.
- Continue cooking for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken pieces are browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in uncooked rice, undrained pimiento, and peas.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Thaw peas by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for one minute.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.