Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Peppers
Eggs taste great when they are baked with tomatoes and peppers.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- pinch of salt
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 fresh red jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- pinch of paprika
- 4 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft, then add the peppers and chiles. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the peppers soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften. Stir in the spinach and paprika, and cook for a few minutes more until the spinach just begins to wilt.
- Use a spoon to make a small indentation in the mixture for each of the eggs, then carefully break an egg into each one. Slide the pan into the oven, and cook for about 5 minutes until the eggs are just baked. Be careful not to let them overcook-the residual heat will keep cooking them after you have removed them from the oven. Sprinkle with pepper, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!