Baked Ziti with Sausage and Tomatoes
Baked ziti in a hearty meat sauce is a great way to feed a hungry family; use either pork or turkey sausages
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- One 28oz ( 794g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1lb ( 450g) ziti
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a deep skillet with water and bring it to a boil. Prick the sausages with a fork, add them to the pan, and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the casings turn pale. Drain the sausages, and let cool. Remove the casings and break up the meat.
- Drain the skillet and return to the heat. Add the sausage and oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and the basil. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the ziti. Cook until al dente, about 3 minutes before the time recommended on the package. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- Mix most of the sausage and tomato sauce with the ziti. Spread in the casserole(s), then spoon the reserved sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles, and the cheese is melted and golden.
- large, deep skillet; one large casserole dish or 6 individual casserole dishes
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!