Barbecued Spare Ribs
Marinate the ribs overnight before baking, if you wish
Prep Time: 5M, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 1H30M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- one 14.5oz ( 411g) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet chile sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 1/2 lb ( 2kg) pork spare ribs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rub the chutney through a sieve into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, chile sauce, soy sauce, paprika, and garlic and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Combine the ribs and chutney mixture into a large roasting pan, overlapping the ribs. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Baste the ribs and continue baking, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, until tender. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into individual ribs, then pile onto a serving platter.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!