Quick and easy bean burgers make a healthy and delicious meal.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: Serves 4-6
- 1 ï¿½ 15oz (425g) can aduki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ï¿½ 151/2oz (439g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 anchovies in olive oil, drained
- 1 tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Put the drained beans in a food processor, and pulse the machine on and off several times until coarsely chopped. Add the onion, anchovies, and mustard, and season well with salt and pepper. Pulse a few times more. You want the mixture to be well combined, but not purï¿½ed. Now add the eggs, and pulse again until blended. Add 2-3 tbsp flour to bind the burgers, and pulse until incorporated.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, spoon out a portion of the bean mixture (there is enough to make 6 burgers) and, using well-floured hands, form into a patty just before adding to the pan. Working in batches, cook 2 or 3 patties at a time for 4-6 minutes, turning only once, until firm and golden. Add more oil to the pan as needed. Set aside and keep the burgers warm as you cook the remaining patties.
- Serve each burger inside a bun with crisp lettuce and tomato ketchup.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!