Bedouin Chicken with Apple and Raisins
With apples, almonds, allspice, and barley, this comforting chicken dish has the hearty flavors of fall.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- 1 small apple, diced
- 4 fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp raisins, well washed
- 1 tsp chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3-lb (1.5-kg) chicken salt and pepper juice of half a lemon
- 1 lemon, quartered to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the onion until just transparent.
- Mix cooked onion with all the other stuffing ingredients and spices in a mixing bowl.
- Stuff the chicken with the mixture, tie it up, put it in a roasting pan, and season liberally with pepper, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Put the chicken in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375°F (190°C) and roast for 11/4 hours or until the juices run clear from the thigh when you pierce it with a skewer.
- Eat with a plain lettuce salad and a lemon and oil dressing.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!