Beef and Biscuit Bake
Ground beef, covered in gravy, is baked on top of warm buttermilk biscuits. This is a comfort food the whole family will love!
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (unthawed) whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (unthawed) cut green beans
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme or marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- BISCUIT TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat biscuit mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- Coat a large oven-proof skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the onion to the skillet, and stir to mix. Cook for a minute or 2, or until the onion is crisp-tender.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the water and all of the corn, green beans, bouillon granules, thyme or marjoram, and pepper to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are thawed and heated through.
- Place the remaining 3/4 cup of water and all of the flour in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the meat mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Remove the skillet from the heat, and set aside to keep warm.
- To make the topping, place the biscuit mix in a medium-sized bowl. Add enough of the buttermilk to form a moderately thick batter, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto the meat mixture to make 6 biscuits.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for about 18 minutes, or until the biscuits are lightly browned and cooked through. Cover with aluminum foil during the last few minutes of baking if the biscuits begin to brown too quickly. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.