Beef satay is quick, easy, and oh-so-yummy.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2lb (900g) whole beef tenderloin filet, cut into 1in (2.5cm) cubes
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
For the marinade
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2in (5cm) piece of fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh hot red chiles, seeded
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Put all the ingredients for the marinade in a blender or a food processor, and blend until smooth. Put the beef pieces in a plastic freezer bag and pour in the marinade, mix together, and seal. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Thread the beef onto metal skewers, allowing about 5 pieces on each skewer and reserving the marinade. Set aside while you make the peanut sauce.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add the peanut butter, and continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens into a sauce. Keep warm.
- Heat the barbecue or charcoal grill until hot. Grill the beef skewers for 5 minutes, turning frequently. Leave to rest for a few minutes, then serve with the warm peanut sauce on the side for dipping.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!