Beef Shank with Marsala
Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Casseroles, Comfort Foods, Entertaining, Kid-friendly
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
Beef shank with marsala tastes amazing when served with crusty bread.
Prep Time: 45M
Cooking Time: 1H30M
Serves: Serves 8
- 31/2lb (1.6kg) beef shank, cut into bite-size pieces
- all-purpose flour, to dust
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 11/4 cups Marsala
- 7oz (200g) Puy lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Dust the meat with a little flour, then season with sea salt and black pepper. Heat half the oil in a large cast-iron casserole, add the meat, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Stir in the carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, pour in the Marsala, and let it bubble for a few minutes while the alcohol evaporates. Stir in the lentils, add the stock, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and black pepper, then add the bay leaves. Cover with a lid and put in the oven to cook for 11/2 hours. Check occasionally and add a little hot water if it looks dry.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, making sure the meat is submerged in the stock. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a large pot and cover with a little hot water. Heat very gently for 15-20 minutes or until piping hot. Serve with crusty bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!