Beef stroganoff is a simple, hearty dish the whole family will love.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- scant 1oz (25g) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12oz (350g) leftover roast beef, sliced into strips
- 2/3-11/4 cups hot vegetable or beef stock, as needed
- 11/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 11/4 cups boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, and sweat gently for 5 minutes until soft. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Drain the mushrooms (reserve the liquid), and add to the onion, along with the beef. Pour the mushroom soaking liquid through a fine nylon sieve, and add to the pan with about half of the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the cream and hot red pepper flakes, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, adding more of the stock as needed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, and serve hot with some fluffy white rice or noodles.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!