Beef tacos are an easy and delicious stand-by for a quick dinner.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fresh hot green chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 11/2lb (675g) lean ground beef
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 8 prepared taco shells, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup (75g) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Position the oven rack 6 inches from the broiler, and preheat to hot.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and salt, and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the garlic and chile, and cook briefly before adding the beef. Cook, stirring, until no longer pink, adding just enough of the stock to prevent the meat from sticking, but not so much that it appears wet.
- When the beef is cooked, stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. Spoon the mixture into the taco shells, and top with cheese. Place upright tacos under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!