Canned mackerel and mashed potatoes are shaped into tasty burgers in this fast dish that might entice kids to eat fish.
Serves: serves 4
- 8 oz (250 g) cooked mackerel or canned mackerel in brine
- 13/4 cups mashed potato
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2-3 green onions, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp milk or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fine oatmeal
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Skin and bone the mackerel. Add the green onions.
- Flake the fish, and mix with the mashed potatoes and melted butter. If the mixture is very stiff, moisten with a little milk or stock.
- Shape into 4 patties and chill for at least half an hour.
- When you are ready to eat, dust the patties with oatmeal.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the patties until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with watercress and slices of tomato.
- Big Macks can also be eaten cold, in a whole-wheat bun, with watercress and slices of cucumber.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!