Bow Ties with Tuna and Tomatoes
It's fine to use canned tuna in this pasta dish, but make sure you use fresh basil!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes (about 5 medium)
- 1 can (9 ounces) water-packed albacore tuna, drained
- 5 thin slices red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 10 ounces bow tie pasta (about 33/4 cups) or rigatoni pasta (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place the tomatoes, tuna, onion, basil, olives, salad dressing, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl, and toss gently to mix well. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, and return to the pot.
- Add the tomato-tuna mixture to the pasta, and toss gently to mix well. Serve hot, topping each serving with a tablespoon of Parmesan, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.