Braised Turkey with Vegetables
Braised turkey and vegetables are a cinch to make and yummy to eat.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 turkey breast fillets (skin on)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- a few fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- zest of 1 lemon, grated, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, season the turkey, then cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned all over. Transfer to a shallow casserole dish.
- Add the vegetables and tarragon and season again. Pour stock almost to the top of the dish, but not enough to cover the ingredients. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the turkey and vegetables are tender.
- Let cool completely, then remove the turkey with a slotted spoon, discard the skin, and slice the meat. Transfer to a freezer-proof container, add the sauce and vegetables, and make sure the turkey is well-covered in the sauce-pour in a little cooled stock if it isn't. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a large pan and heat gently for 15-20 minutes, or until piping hot. Top with the parsley and lemon zest and serve with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!