Breaded Fried Shrimp
Type: Main Dishes
Cornmeal gives these shrimp a delectable crunchiness
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus chilling
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 / 4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 / 3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp dried marjoram or oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 / 4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 / 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 24 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Mix together the bread crumbs, cornmeal, marjoram, thyme, and pepper in a shallow dish. Spread the flour in another dish. Beat the eggs in a third dish.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Coat each shrimp in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip in the eggs, then coat with the bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour oil halfway up the sides of a deep saucepan and heat over high heat to 350癋 (170癈). In batches, cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot.
- prep 20 mins, plus chilling; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!