Calzone with Cheese, Ham, and Spinach
Cheese, ham, and spinach make the perfect fillings for this easy-to-make calzone.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Makes 1
- 1 ball pizza dough
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- semolina flour or cornmeal
- 8oz (225g) fresh spinach, wilted and well drained
- 41/2oz (125g) cooked ham, chopped
- 41/2oz (125g) mozzarella, torn into pieces
- handful of torn basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C). Put a heavy baking tray in the oven to get hot. (They both need to be really hot before cooking the pizza.)
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it out as thin as you can-about 10-12in (25-30cm) in diameter. Brush the hot baking tray with oil, sprinkle with semolina, and place the dough on top.
- Spread the spinach over half the dough, leaving a 1/2in (1cm) border around the edge. Top with the ham, mozzarella, and basil leaves. Moisten the edges of the dough with a little water, then fold in half and seal together with your fingers. Sprinkle the top with a little water, then bake for15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Add the cooked ingredients of your choice, but keep it simple-no more than three or four are really necessary.
- Sprinkling the top of the calzone with a little water helps crisp up the dough.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!