Calzone with Peppers, Capers, and Olives
Calzones are scrumptious, especially when they are stuffed with peppers, capers, and olives.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Makes 1
- 1 ball pizza dough
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- semolina flour or cornmeal
- 3-4 roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and chopped
- handful of pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tsp capers, rinsed
- 2-3 tbsp ricotta or fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C). Put a heavy baking sheet in the oven to get hot. (They both need to be really hot before cooking the pizza.)
- Place the dough on a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll it out as thin as you can-about 10-12in (25-30cm) in diameter. Brush the hot baking sheet with oil, sprinkle with semolina flour, and carefully place the dough on top.
- Spoon the peppers, olives, capers, and ricotta onto half of the dough base, leaving a 1/2in (1cm) border around the edge. Season well with salt and pepper. Moisten the edges of the dough with a little water, then fold in half and seal together with your fingers. Sprinkle the top with a little water, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!