These folded pizzas have a tasty chicken, pancetta, and vegetable filling
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 25M-30M
Serves: makes 4 calzones
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the baking sheets
- 6 slices pancetta, chopped
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato paste
- Basic Pizza Dough
- 7oz ( 200g) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large beaten egg, to seal
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta, chicken, and green pepper and cook until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Divide the dough into four equal portions. Roll out each on a lightly floured work surface into a 9in (23cm) round.
- Spread the tomato paste over the lower half of each dough round, leaving a 1/2in (13mm) border. Divide the filling evenly over the paste, then top with equal amounts of the mozzarella and parsley. Season generously with the pepper.
- Brush the exposed edges of the dough with the beaten egg. Fold over to enclose the filling, pressing the edges together firmly with your fingers or a fork to seal.
- Brush with the remaining olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are crisp and golden brown. Serve hot.
- Good with a green salad.
Spicy Calzone: Fry 1-2 tsp of dried chile flakes in the mix in step 1 for added heat.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!