Capellini with Pesto Cheese Sauce
Type: Main Dishes
Topped with a cheesy variant of pesto, this pasta is sure to please.
Serves: 4 servings
- 10 ounces capellini (angel hair) pasta
- 1 block (8 ounces) nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese, or 8 ounces soft curd farmer cheese
- 3/4 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh plum tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, place all of the pesto ingredients in a food processor, and process until the herbs are finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl, and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese or farmer cheese and the milk in the food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the cheese mixture to the pasta, and toss over low heat for a minute or two, or just until the sauce is warmed through. Do not allow the sauce to boil. Add a little more milk if the sauce seems too thick. Remove the pot from the heat, add the pesto, and toss to mix well.
- Serve hot, topping each serving with 1/4 cup of the chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon of the pine nuts.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.