Cheesy Three-Bean Pot Pie
Type: Main Dishes
Don't think of homemade pot pie as too much trouble -- the taste of cheese, beans, and a fresh crust is really something special!
Serves: Serves: 8
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, slightly beaten, or equivalent in egg substitute
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 10 ounces (one 16-ounce can) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) cut green beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep-dish 10-inch pie plate with olive oil-flavored cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, baking powder, egg, and skim milk. Mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie plate. Spread mixture evenly over bottom and up sides of pie plate.
- In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray, saute onion and green pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in kidney beans, green beans, wax beans, tomato sauce, and chili seasoning. Add 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Mix well to combine.
- Spoon mixture evenly over batter. Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are puffy and lightly browned. Place pie plate on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 servings.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.