Chicken and Apricot Tagine
Type: Main Dishes
The dried fruit and warm spices in this dish are the unmistakable flavors of the Middle East
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of crushed hot red pepper
- 2 1 / 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8oz ( 225g) mixed dried fruit, such as apricots and raisins, chopped if large
- 1 / 4 cup fresh orange juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1 / 2 lb ( 675g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Heat the oil in the casserole over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ground spices, and hot red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened. Stir in the stock and tomato paste, and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the dried fruits and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the fruits have softened and the juices reduced slightly.
- Add the chicken and re-cover the casserole. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the juices run clear. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
- prep 15 mins; cook 35 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!