Chicken and Chickpea Pilaf
This one-pot rice dish is full of flavor and is easy to make
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 1 / 4 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1 / 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- one 15oz ( 420g) can chickpeas
- 1 / 3 cup golden raisins
- 1 / 2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Crumble the saffron threads into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water, and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the coriander and cumin. In batches, cook the chicken, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the saucepan and heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the rice. Return the chicken to the saucepan and stir in the stock, along with the saffron and its liquid, 1/2 tsp salt, and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain the chickpeas then stir in along with the raisins, and cook about 5 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot, sprinkled with almonds and parsley.
- prep 20 mins; cook 35 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!