Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
This is an easy recipe, and a good place to begin if you have never before made risotto. The chicken and mushrooms make it special.
Serves: 4 servings
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 3 3/4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular
- Parmesan cheese
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and stir-fry for another minute or 2, or until the mushrooms begin to brown and start to release their juices. (Add a little white wine or chicken broth if the skillet becomes too dry.)
- Stir the broth and rice into the skillet mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer without stirring for about 12 minutes, or until about three-fourths of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the peas, and cook covered for another 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the evaporated milk to the skillet, and, if necessary, increase the heat slightly to return the mixture to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the rice is tender but still a little firm to the bite, and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add a little more broth during cooking if needed, leaving just enough liquid to make the mixture moist and creamy.
- Stir the Parmesan cheese into the risotto. If the mixture seems too dry at this point, add a little more evaporated milk or broth. Serve hot, topping each serving with a rounded teaspoon of additional Parmesan, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.