Chicken and Shrimp Paella
This quick dish combines shrimp and chicken for a different but delicious paella.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6
- 3 bags boil-in-bag rice
- 3 TB. olive oil
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 3⁄4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1⁄4-inch thick pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 TB. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 TB. crushed garlic
- 1 (16-oz.) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup baby peas (available fresh or frozen at your grocery store)
- Pinch saffron (about 1⁄8 tsp.)
- 3 TB. sherry or cooking wine
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3⁄4 lb. cooked jumbo shrimp
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Cook rice per package instructions (usually 10 minutes). When done, set aside, ready for adding later.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle paprika over all sides of sliced chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook chicken strips in oil, turning, for five minutes or until done. Remove chicken strips to a plate.
- Melt butter in the skillet and add onion. Cook onion for five minutes, add garlic, and cook for one minute. Add chopped tomatoes, peas, saffron, sherry, and crushed red pepper, and cook for four minutes. Stir in shrimp and cooked rice, and heat for three minutes. (If you're using frozen shrimp, defrost before using by running under cold water in a colander.)
- Serve from the skillet or from a serving platter, drizzling first with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.