Chicken and Shrimp Paella
Paella is a hearty and delicious classic that your whole family will love.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: Serves 8
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cups hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 red peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1lb 9oz (700g) uncooked shelled shrimp
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 13/4lb (800g) can diced tomatoes
- 1lb (450g) paella rice or basmati rice
- 14oz (400g) green beans, trimmed
- a few strands of saffron
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of paprika
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Put the chicken thighs in a large saucepan, add 2 cups of the stock, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is nearly cooked. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and reserve the stock.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a paella pan or large flat frying pan, add the peppers, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 more minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked and pink. Remove the shrimp and peppers with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, then the rice and the reserved cooking stock and stir. Season again, then add another 2 cups of the stock and the chicken. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, adding he remaining stock as needed. Add the beans for the last 10 minutes of cooking along with the saffron, cayenne, and paprika. Return the peppers and shrimp to the pan, heat through, then sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Cheat...You can buy ready-mixed paella spices. Add with the rice in place of the saffron, cayenne, and paprika.
- It's tradition in Spain to mix meat and fish. If you're not a fan, choose one to cook with and increase the quantities.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!