Chicken and Sweet Corn Pie
Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Entertaining, Comfort Foods, Cakes/pies, Kid-friendly
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
Chicken and sweet corn make the perfect filling for this easy pie.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size chunks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150ml) heavy whipping cream
- 11/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 × 12oz (350g) can whole kernel corn, drained
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- half of a 17.3oz (425g) box frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed as package directs
- all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for 7-10 minutes until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over low heat and add the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Cook gently for 5 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour and a little cream. Return the pan to low heat and add the remaining cream and the stock, stirring for 5-8 minutes until the mixture thickens. Stir in the corn and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a 1 quart (1.1 liter) pie dish. On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry so there is a border all around, extending about 2in (5cm) beyond the pie dish. Cut out a strip of pastry 1in (2.5cm) in from the edge to make a collar. Moisten the edge of the pie dish with water; fit the pastry strip all the way around, and press down firmly. Brush the collar with a little egg wash, then top with the pastry lid. Trim away the excess. Using your finger and thumb, pinch or press the edges together to seal.
- Brush the top with the egg wash, cut a slit to let steam escape during cooking, and bake 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed. Serve hot.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the filling at the same time you add the onion.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!